Wagon Wheels (Beef and Bean Burgers)

wagon wheelsThese were a favorite growing up, and they are quickly turning into a favorite for 60% of my children. We’ll give the other 40% some time as they are four and under! I really like them as well, and they are relatively easy to make. Plus, you sneak some beans into your child’s diet; although, my children are turning out to like the beans like black beans and kidney beans.  Yay for beans!

Recipe for Wagon Wheels (Beef and Bean Burger)

Cooking Time Required:  10-15 minutes. Preheat oven @ 375°

Ingredients and Directions:

Brown:  1 lb. ground beef

1 pound of ground beef and some chopped onion

1 pound of ground beef and some chopped onion

Add:

  • 1-(16 oz.) can of pork and beans (I take out the little bit of pork, but I do not drain.)
  • 1/2 c. ketchup
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion or 2 T. minced onion
  • 1 T. mustard
  • 1 tsp. salt (I do not add.)101_6465

Let this mixture simmer while preparing the dough.

While mixture is simmering, make 4″ circles out of one 8 oz. can of buttermilk biscuits (not the jumbo biscuits) on ungreased cookie sheets.   (My cookie sheets are not the best, so I do spray them lightly with a cooking spray).  I bought mine at Aldi, but they can be found at just about any grocery store.   One can will make 10 circles.  101_6466Last night, my meat mixture covered the top of 12 circles.  So I used 2 cans of biscuits and baked the 8 remaining biscuits.  The children were happy the plain biscuits, as I never just buy the biscuits to make them by themselves.

Spoon mixture equally onto the circles.101_6467

Sprinkle the top of each circle with some shredded cheddar cheese.101_6469

Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until dough is lightly brown.

All done!

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s